Business then pleasure!!!!!!! The fabulous Rocki St. Claire is guest blogging today at SFC about her new release and what she does to celebrate finishing a book!
Last night on American Idle the contestants had to sing a song from the year they were born. All I can say is it made me feel REALLY OLD! Because I knew almost all of them. I mean hell David Archuletta was born three years before my oldest child.
Before I get to my recap I thought it might be fun to look at the songs that were popular when I was born–keeping in mind that I”m too old to be on AI anyway.
1. Aquarius, Fifth Dimension
2. Sugar, Sugar, Archies
3. I Can’t Get Next To You, Temptations
4. Honky Tonk Women, Rolling Stones
5. Build Me Up Buttercup, Foundations
WTF? Let’s try THIS LIST:
1. Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin
2. Proud Mary – Creedence Clearwater Revival
3. I Want You Back – Jackson 5
4. Honky Tonk Women – Rolling Stones
5. Bad Moon Rising – Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes – Crosby, Stills & Nash
7. Dazed And Confused – Led Zeppelin
8. Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
9. Come Together – Beatles
10. I Can’t Get Next To You – Temptations
MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!! Okay I’m going to put my recap below the cut for anyone who hasn’t seen it. All I can say is I almost didn’t watch but I’m SO glad I did.
Let’s start with #10. If you watched you know why I”m starting with him.
DUDEEEEEEEEEEEE OMG! So Ryan Seacrest says David Cook is doing Billie Jean and I”m like ….ok. Then it starts and I’m like, “that’s not Billie Jean.” Then I realize it is and I’m TOTALLY DIGGIN IT! And he finishes and my jaw is now sitting on the mattress. I mean who in the HELL would have thought you could take Billie Jean and turn it into a…a…POWER BALAD?!?!?!?! You know, “Billie Jean she’s not my lover….da da da da da daaaaa da da da….the kid is not my son.”
/end butt wiggle
I’m not kidding. The boy has BALLS of STEEL and he totally pulled it off. I was just a-MAZED! You can see a quick recap with a LITTLE bit of him singing here.
Sadly the rest of the night was fairly mundane in comparison.
9. Kristi Lee Cook–“God Bless the USA”. I heard on the radio that Kristi used to sing at my local Cowboys nightclub. Funny, I can’t remember ever seeing her there. 🙂 Anyway she was the best I’d heard her, it was a smart choice because I think she’ll totally get the patriotic/military/vet/old person/die hard country fan vote and stay in it for another week. That said, she still needs to step it up.
8.David Archuletta….You’re something or other I have no idea what that song was. I feel bad for him. He gets reamed for doing too many slow songs then does an up-tempo song and (again) gets reamed. I don’t agree w/Simon (that it was amusement park quality), and again I didn’t know the song but I dont think it was THAT bad.
7. Carly Smithson–“Total Eclipse of the Heart”. I have to agree w/Randy in that I think she brought nothing new to the table with this one. Meh.
6. Michael Johns–“We Will Rock You?” “We Are The Champions?” I dunno but I do know it was Queen. I cringed thinking he was going to get reamed because of course no one is Freddie Mercury. He didn’t *wipes brow* I agree w/Randy. I think he owned it and did a stellar job.
5. Brooke White–“Every Breath You Take” sigh How I love Brooke. I really do. She did a great job, she put her own touches on this song without going overboard. Not sure if I agree w/Randy and Simon about leaving out the band.
4. Chikezie–“If Only For One Night”. Shut up Simon and Randy. I thought he was wonderful. Who cares if he’s a throwback.
3. Syesha–“If I Were Your Woman” I agree w/Randy here. She totally sold it, she was believable and she did a great job. Probably her best yet.
2. Jason Castro–Not sure what song he sang but I disagree w/Simon here. He did NOT sound like some guitar playing sitting outside a subway station. That said, I find myself agreeing with Paula in that he knows who he is as a singer/artist. THAT said, he needs to step it up.
1. Ramiele–“Alone” –you are alone. Buh-bye. I know you were sick but you were shouty and pitchy and the song was way too big for you, honey child.
Love that backhanded compliment Simon.
SO, did you watch? What do you think? And what songs were hot the year you were born?