My kids LOVE Mac ‘n Cheese. And even with two half-grown boys I haven’t quite figured out how to cut this one down to size (so we don’t eat it for weeks). I know the eggs sound weird but I promise, do it as directed and it’s AMAZING! (and obviously uber-fattening!)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces cubed processed cheese food
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain well and return to cooking pot.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 8 tablespoons butter; stir into the macaroni.(You can also nuke in Microwave)
- In a large bowl, combine the Muenster cheese, mild and sharp Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheese; mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Add the half and half, 1/2 of cheese mixture, cubed processed cheese food, and eggs to macaroni; mix together and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a lightly greased deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of butter.*
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until hot and bubbling around the edges; serve.
*I recommend adding half the cheese, cooking for about 17 minutes, stirring well, then adding the other half of the cheese.
Also mix half and half with beaten eggs for good distribution. You really can’t tell the eggs are in there 9to my surprise).
I can’t find grated muenster, which I love, so I use co-jack and sharp cheddar.Â Also doubling the cheese is a good idea.
I don’t measure but inevitably end up with a heaping 9 x 13 dish of mac ‘n cheese.